Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 7, 2013

There is a Comfort in a Shared History

Do you wonder if God has a funny bone?  I believe He has a plan for us.  He wrote it the day we were born. We may stray from His plan, but He always brings us right back to where we should be. Many will say when a door closes, God opens a window for you.  In my life, God's plans were much larger.  He closed windows to make sure I'd take the door He held open for me.

I have never attended Church on a regular basis.  My parents did not belong to a church. Killer thought we needed to go to church, so that Worm could go to Sunday school, but we rarely went on any schedule.

I have attended church with others through marriage and family ties, but my church is in my heart. Soon, I will explore that side of me, but I live each day trying to make God proud of me.  I am kind. I help others who are less fortunate than I am. I give to many and I always help others who are in need.  It has come back to bite me on more than one occasion and I am trying not to succumb to the fact no good deed goes unpunished, but God, my God, has a funny bone and must really get a chuckle out of me!

Shortly before Christmas 1987, Killer called me at home. I had started answering my phone again and just when you think it is safe, well apparently, it isn't.  He wondered how I was and what I had been up to.  We talked as if no time had passed between us and there was a  comfort in our conversation that just felt nice. A shared history that allows you to waltz through a conversation and not watch the clock as it ticks away.

I had told him about Michael and he didn't say much.  I was expecting him to jump on the band wagon and inform me that as always, he was right, but he didn't say a word while I shared with him my joys and disappointments.

He was disappointed as well.  Mon Cheri had reconsidered the lease option on Killer as well.  He was sad, but he said he had learned many things about himself through the help of her.  I laughed, "Yes, she taught you how to dress yourself and in some thing more fashionable than grass stained jeans." We both chuckled, but there was a sadness in both of our hearts that day.

He wondered, since Michael and I were  no longer together, what I was doing for the holidays.  I told him I was driving down to Florida to visit my folks and get some sun.  He asked me if I would consider going on a "vacation" with him.

Killer didn't vacation.  I was surprised. He hated to travel and he hated to be away at the holidays.  "Where were you thinking?"

He thought Florida would be a nice place, but he wasn't sure where. "Would you mind if we just winged it?"  I gasped, I think my teeth just fell out!

"Wing it? You? Mr. Gotta Have A Schedule Just to Pee Henshaw?"

"Yes, Mon Cheri had shared with me the fun of spontaneity."

"Killer, is that a new word in your vocabulary that you are trying out on me? It sounds so dirty for you"

We really did have a nice talk, like we did years before when we had first met.  I told him I would think about it.  There wasn't much time to consider, but let me sleep on it and I'll call you tomorrow.  He chuckled, "Beadie, will  you really call me tomorrow or are you just saying that to get me off the phone?"

No, Killer, I would call you tomorrow.  You were not on my list of those to ignore at the moment,

No comments:

Post a Comment