Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Relationships Come in all Different Packages

Nineteen Ninety took many people from me, but it also brought a lot of new people into my life. In the spring of 1990, Tina Marie and I walked down to the store at lunch to get her some smokes. She probably bought a lottery ticket as well, I  sat out on the edge of the brick flower bed that was part of the store front.

A police officer had just stepped out of the store and was standing there watching me.  I didn't think plopping  my butt on the flower bed edge was against the law, but who knew, stranger things have happened.

He struck up a conversation and as my Mother will attest, I have never met a stranger, especially one  who can bullshit with the best of them. That day marked the beginning of a relationship with Webby. He was a lieutenant with the Lansing Police Force.

Webby asked me my name and where I worked and that afternoon he called to confirm what I told him was true.  Webby was twelve years older than I was. He was married with no children.  

He didn't fit the stereotypical policeman role.  I couldn't imagine seeing him in a dark alley pointing a gun at me without laughing until I had tears in my eyes.  He had a bit of a limp from an ankle injury, but he kind of walked on his toes.  He worked out every day at the gym, but he was soft around the middle.  His voice was sort of pitched a little higher than most men and he had some effeminate ways about him.

We met for lunch every day.  Abe was jealous of Webby and Webby was jealous of Abe.  Neither had reason to be, but they were.  Abe thought Webby was a weenie.  Webby thought Abe was a lecherous old  man. God, you've got to love men! Marking territory that doesn't belong to them.

Webby played on a co-ed volleyball league.  Tina Marie used to play volley ball in high school and she had met a young guy who worked at his mom's gift shop downtown, Scott.  The four of us played on this league one year and had a lot of fun, but Webby was very territorial.

Like Killer he had a routine that he did not sway from.  He had it down right to the second. He would come over on Saturdays and Abe might be there visiting after dropping his signs off and the two of them would square off.  I found this rather amusing at times, but also frustrating. 

Webby treated me like I was fine china, helpless.  I was not. His wife's name was Cindy as well, she was helpless. I called his office one day and one of his officers answered the phone, we were joking around and having a great time while I waited for Webby .   We were both single and decided we'd meet for lunch one day.  Webby put a kibosh to that quickly. I guess I was more than a friend to him.

For Christmas in 1990, he showered me with gifts!  I had never had some one buy me so many gifts without a list directing them to the exact location of where to pick it up and buy it.  He loved me, but I didn't share the same feelings for him. He was a distraction for me. A safe place that I knew the boundaries would never expand because he was married. I could enjoy his friendship with no strings attached and no promise of strings being attached.  It was just perfect for me at the moment.

In the long run, I broke Webby's heart.  I had no intention of doing so, but I always made it very clear that I was emotionally drained and had nothing to offer anyone nor did I want any thing in return. 

It really is a small world and as my story unfolds, you'll see how small a world it can really be.  Who would ever imagine Webby lived directly across the street from my future sister-in-law!

No comments:

Post a Comment