Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Can Anyone Be Completely Honest?

Chappy and I started bowling in 1990. He would drive to Grand Ledge and meet us.  We'd bowl and then every Sunday afterwards we went to Cheddar's and would have hot chocolate and talk until it closed.  Chappy would drive back to Grand Rapids and I'd drive home.  The more we bowled, the more things changed.

Neal was also bowling with his new friend. Chappy knew the story about Neal, but he didn't know he was going to be bowling with us.  I didn't either.  The Hartman's had filled him in on the finer details about Neal and the new friend he was bowling with.  Chappy knew just what to say to me, the perfect salesman, "I can't believe he left you for her, you are so much more beautiful than that, his loss, not yours."

In all our conversations I must have made it perfectly clear to Chappy that I had no interest in a relationship.  He was the perfect gentleman to me, but he had an interest, he was just unsure how to present it. 

Over time we began to do things outside of bowling. We would go to movies, concerts and other events when he was able to fit it in his schedule, but there was some thing gnawing at me.  Something about him was very mysterious, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

He would come stay at  his Mom's house in Westphalia when we had plans on a weekend. We had become intimate, yet he never would spend the night as he had to "go home to Mom."  It wouldn't matter if it was three in the morning, he had to get home.  What twenty eight year old man, who lived independently of his parents went home to Momma?

He was very conscious of his mother and not wanting to disappoint her. It puzzled me. In that first year we bowled, I would have tickets  to go to events and he would accept my invitation but at the last minute have to cancel as some thing else came up. Some times he could go, but many times he backed out.  He would be close, but at the same time there was a distance between us.


Trophy Plaque for Hi Game/Series for Women
As the season came to an end, I had had a stellar year on the alleys.  I bowled a near perfect game one evening. I rolled a 247 with a high series that night of 678.  Neal was not there that evening, but one of the guys who bowled on our league was Neal's bowling partner on a man's league.  He also had traveled with us to Reno, so he knew the relationship we had once had.  He cheered me on as I kept throwing strikes.  Chappy was so excited for me and the whole league was watching as I threw those last few balls.

Chappy and I went out to Cheddars afterwards, but when I got home, Neal had called me.  He had heard that I had a near perfect game and wanted to congratulate me.  Chappy was sitting there next to me and I knew at that moment, Neal was not important to me any longer.  I excused myself as I had company and thanked him for calling.  

The bowling banquet was held at the Sheraton Inn.  We got all dressed up to attend and Chappy had reserved a room.  I thought that was funny as I only lived less than ten miles from the hotel, but he wanted us to be able to enjoy the evening.  He didn't realize that I really didn't drink.  But that night, I did!

We were dancing and having such a great time. He wanted me to drink.  I don't know why people insist on me drinking but they think since I am so funny sober I must be hilarious drunk.  I have never been drunk, but one drink, ONE, will turn me into the quietest person you've seen.  I become very withdrawn and reflective.

The only drink I could tolerate was a Vodka Collins.  It tasted like lemonade. Chappy always had a fresh one ready for me when I came off the dance floor. I don't know how to drink alcohol when I am thirsty.  He would hand the glass to  me and I'd sip it through the little stirrer straw in one sip.  Chappy told me I needed to pace myself after the second one.  He also warned me about drinking it through the stirrer straw.  

After the third drink I was feeling nothing. I have always been aware of  my actions in public. It is one reason I do not care to drink, it may put me in a position of not knowing what I am doing.

We walked Tina Marie out to her car and I noticed I had taken my heels off and was walking in the parking lot in my stocking feet.  I couldn't walk in heels,  I just felt so tipsy, but I didn't think I was drunk.

Chappy and I headed to our room.  We were laughing over events of the evening and all of a sudden the room started to spin.  I stopped laughing and just as serious as a heart attack, looked at Chappy and said, "the room is spinning, do you feel it?"

He could not stop laughing and I was concerned that the room was spinning.  He told me I had bed spins and to put my foot on the floor.  I thought he was crazy, why would the floor stop spinning just because I put my foot on the floor.  I did as he told me and was so surprised, "Chappy, the room stopped spinning!" He never let me forget that night.

That summer we promised that we would make time to see one another.  One weekend we had made plans to go to Saugatuk for the day, a Sunday.  We went to Oval Beach and shopped at all the little boutiques in the town.   I just loved that area of Michigan. We stopped and bought a ice cream cone as we were walking along the sidewalk, just talking  about life in general, he said, "I can hardly wait for my Mom to meet you, you two are so much alike!'  

I had to say, this was a bit of a surprise to me. This mystery man was considering to take me to meet his mom? This woman he put on a pedestal and feared to the point that he still came home out of respect for her.

We had a wonderful day, returning home only to go back to reality the next day  of work. Tina Marie was home on disability and received a call that day.  A woman from the Chamber of Commerce called to ask if I had been in Saugatuk the day before and how I enjoyed it.  Tina Marie said, "Oh, I think she had a good time" and the conversation ended.

She told me about this phone call when I came home and I was surprised. How would anyone know I had been there, I didn't buy anything, I didn't fill out any forms, how would they know?

It took some time before that mystery was unveiled, but the woman claiming she worked for the Chamber of Commerce, didn't, she was Chappy's girlfriend of four years, who apparently he was still involved with.

No comments:

Post a Comment