Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 2, 2013

First Things First, Get Balls, Check, Take names, Check, Kick Ass, Check

Killer called first thing in the morning.  He was all  cheery and willing to help me.  He told me what I already knew, I needed to find a car and he would help me.  We'd make plans to start looking. He wanted to know what my schedule was and when I would be available to get together.  He suggested the weekend would be a good time to start and I could just come over Friday night, spend the night and we'd get up on Saturday, go to Coral Gables for breakfast and start car shopping.

I was crazy? Are  you kidding  me?  You want me to come spend the night and fall right back into the routine that I was  trying desperately to escape.  I told him I would think about it and get back with him.  I was on my way out the door when he called.  I had a full day ahead of me and not a minute to waste.

I had typed up my resume.  I had prepared cover letters and put three resumes in the mail that morning.  I was on the way out to find a car.  I really liked my Thunderbird, but I liked the style of the Mercury Cougar.  There was a 1985 Silver Mercury Cougar for sale at the Ford Lincoln Continental Dealership out near Frandor and I was headed in that direction.

I walked in to the dealership with my want ads in hand.  I pointed to the ad and photograph of this silver cougar and asked to see it.  It was a beauty.  I took it for a test drive and started negotiating the purchase of my new automobile.  I was able to get just what I wanted and I was so proud that I did this all on my own.  My Dad helped me buy my first brand new car. Killer had taken that car and traded it in on the car he thought I should drive and my next car was a company car. I got this one all on my own. I picked it out, negotiated a fair price, did the paperwork to finance it and drove it off the lot that afternoon.  I called my former boss and told her where I was leaving the company car.  I did not have the means to return it to the office, so they would have to have someone pick it up.  I left the keys with the salesman and walked out to my new ride.  

It was late and I knew Killer would be home.  I was headed over to Michael's to show him my  new car.  I thought I'd swing by Killer's, knock two birds out with one stone, thank him for offering to help me find a car and show him, I didn't need his help. 


He was outside working in the yard, clearing leaves from the lawn with his riding lawn  mower.  I pulled up and he looked at the car but did not recognize who it was until I stepped out of the driver's side beaming with pride over my new purchase.

You see, this was not a courtesy call.  This was an in your face, don't you ever tell me I am nothing without you, I am every thing without you, call.

Killer came over to the car.  He was curious as to where my company car was?  Had they reconsidered their offer and wanted it back earlier?  No.  Then whose car was this?  "This is my new car.  I just bought it."  Killer's face was about to explode as I stood there with the same smirk he had the night before when he told me I was nothing without him. I looked him square in the eyes like he had taught me to do and I stood as tall as my frame would allow me, "Isn't it a beauty?"


He was livid! "You went out and bought this car without me? You don't know anything about cars!  I bet they took you to the cleaners, did you pay sticker price for it? I'm sure they saw sucker written all over your forehead when you walked in the door. Women can't buy a car, they  need a man otherwise they just get taken advantage of" He went on and on about how I was inept to even fart without him holding my  hand and walking me through that release of pressure.  "So is this the way you tell me your balls are bigger than mine?"  I merely smiled as I turned away from his anger and hatred, "No, Killer, this is." I opened up the car door and drove away.  He stood there watching the car leave, headed in the direction of Michael's house.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This makes me wonder if I have the ability to be as gutsy as you...this whole story does.

Queen said...

Jamie, you have to dig deep and have the courage to face the consequences if all fails, for instance losing my job. I could have called in sick that day. I had over 300 hours of sick time, but I was trying to not let anyone know that I was falling apart. The whole Killer facade of not letting them see you bleed. It came at a price, but you just pick yourself up and move forward with greater determination.

Post a Comment