Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Best Time of the Year? Vacation Time!

Fort Myers Beach
Tanya and I had such a great trip to Hawaii in 2008, we decided to be thankful once more and celebrate Thanksgiving in Fort Myers Beach.  When we came home from Hawaii, our flight was delayed, but our limo driver had promised that he would keep track of our flight and if it were delayed, he'd know and would be at the airport when the plane arrived.  As my luck would have it, the flight came in late, close to midnight and no limo was waiting.  On top of that, I had forgotten the folder with all my travel information and so I did not have his contact information.

We had to take a cab from the airport to my house and it cost twice as much as the limo.  I was on the phone to Mr. Limo on Time the next day to voice my concerns.  He gave us a free one way ride to the airport, whenever we wanted.

I took him up on it a year later.  I'm betting he thought I'd forget, but I am all about free!  He came to pick us up early as we had a 6:30 AM flight.  The limo had been left at home, a luxury sedan drove up in the drive to whisk us away to sunshine and sandy beaches.

I'm not sure what happened in a year, but he had become extremely talkative and the conversation was rather bizarre. He wanted to know what we did for a living and we told him we adjusted workers compensation claims.  That opened the door to crazy.  He had had a claim while working in construction.  I am unsure of all the details but I remember he had been permanently restricted from returning to the construction industry and was unsure what he was going to do with his life. He was driving down the highway, much like the one we were on, when the "clouds parted, a beam of light hitting the windshield, intense heat felt in the car," and he had his answer, he would start a limo service.

Tanya and I glanced at each other, were we captive in a crazy car?  As we walked in to the airport, we swore, we would not be calling him to pick us up in a week.

The day before our flight, there had been a computer glitch with the system that collects flight plans causing widespread delays and cancellations across the United States.  We were anxious to start our vacation and boarded the plane.

As the plane prepared to pull back from the gate, there was an issue with the motor on the left wing.  After much delay, the airlines cancelled the flight and due to the delays from the day before, flights were still tight and  they were not going to be able to get us out as scheduled.
Hat Shop in the Keys

I instructed Tanya to stand in line to snag us another flight as soon as possible and I'd go back on the plane to secure our carry on.  Some how there was a misunderstanding and we both ended up on the plane. By the time we grabbed our luggage and headed back to the desk, the lines were miles long.  I stood in line for over two hours. I was three passengers from reaching the golden gate to a new ticket, when they announced all passengers had been booked.
Jamaica Momma

How could that be? We hadn't spoken to any one, but unbeknownst to us, they had automatically booked us on the early evening flight.  I stood in line for nothing.  Since we had been chauffeured to the airport by the crazy man, we did not have transportation to leave the airport for what would be twelve hours until our next flight.  Every thing had been timed perfectly, the flight, picking up the rental car and arriving at the condo we had rented, now every thing was off schedule.  We would not be getting into Fort Myers until after the rental and condo offices closed.  We would be paying for a day for each that we would not be able to use.  Typical of my vacations.

The upside of this?  I was able to get us two free round trip tickets.  The downside, they  could not be used during blackout periods, which just happened to be the week we always flew.  The great thing, I am one determined woman with sharp writing and negotiation skills.  I was able to negotiate two round trip tickets in 2010 for the same week to California so that we could take a Mexican Riviera Cruise for less than two hundred dollars a piece. The regular price was over eight hundred dollars.  So we were both pleased.

But, back to our vacation in November 2009. The weather had been beautiful, but our plane must have snagged a black could on the way out and it settled over the beach most of the week. While the weather was pleasant, it was not beach blanket bikini weather. We decided to take a day trip via boat to Key West.  The weather there? Perfect. But we were only there for a day and then we headed back on the boat that night.
Queen


We found this great hat shop in the Keys and I had to try them on! Earlier in the week, we had been at an accessory shop and I was trying on sunglasses when Tanya snapped a photo and we got out hands slapped. Apparently no photo ops in this shop. Girls just wanna have fun!

We didn't realize so many people ate out for Thanksgiving dinner and we would need reservations, so we were late making them and had the last reservation of the night.  All Tanya wanted all week long was Key Lime Pie and it was on the menu! Unfortunately, every one else on the island wanted Key Lime Pie as well.

Our trip was relaxing. It had been a rough year.  Work was a little trying.  My boss came to do my evaluation and told me I "was one tough chick." Didn't know whether to be insulted or not. I had been having issues with staff and needed to buckle down on them.  He made a bet with me.  If I could get someone to quit verses firing them, he'd take me to dinner, where ever I wanted to go and he'd eat crow.  Rule one, never bet me, I will always win.

I have always been fair, with everyone, whether a friend, family or some one I work with.  I try to be honest, even when it can be hurtful and I give you enough rope to hang yourself or pull yourself to safety.  I had an employee who struggled with her work, she knew it and I gave her many chances to improve, but some times other things get in the way.  When I knew it was no longer an option for improvement, I sat her down and was brutally honest, "you are on your way out the door, you might want to start looking for a job so that you aren't fired or without a job." She was in  her mid fifties and single.  No one wants to be treated poorly and those who are single, they have no other income to fall back on.  She was a kind woman to me throughout her employment, but she couldn't remember simple things and I needed someone to carry the ball in that particular court.  

I knew she had issues outside of the office and I took those into consideration, but in a small office, you can't carry someone all the time. In 2010, I had to crack down and force her to make a decision.  It was some thing so simple, she took the mail to the mail box every day and every day, I had to remind her, just one of many things that I had to remind her of.  She took the mail to the box that night, after I reminded her several times that week and when she got home, she must have thought about it. She called my office number at eight thirty at night and wished me " a good life."  I've had other employees wish much stronger things on to me, but I knew it was out of anger at their lack of production.

She didn't stay mad long, she called me several months later to see how I was doing and we chatted like old friends.  She has called me several times in the past two years to just catch up.  When you treat people fairly, they will go to the end of the Earth for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment