Total Pageviews

Friday, April 5, 2013

I was beginning to live again!

I had  not been on a cruise since the Tropical storm adventure with Neal in 1989.  I had wanted to go, but just couldn't imagine another nightmare.  I had heard that if you wanted to cruise, stay in protected waters, so I booked a weeks cruise to celebrate the end of my marriage and the start of my new life!
Heading out to snorkel

I had been treating myself quite nicely each month that check came in. One month I turned my wedding band in to the jewelers and had it melted down. I figured since the marriage melted down, the ring should too.  Had a new one made, with the same diamond. Years later, I melted that one down and put the diamond in my ear.  I like it there the best. Don't have to look at it.

The cruise was taking off out of Miami, stopping at the private island owned by Royal Caribbean and heading to Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Cozumel. Mike and Jackie had a room down the hall from us and Patty and I had a room with a balcony. It was very nice and I was so looking forward to getting away from every thing.

Table Service for A Queen
I believe that in whatever  you do, you should have fun and find laughter.  Life is too short otherwise.  Every night when we went to dinner, I had the same thing. I  am not into trying different foods.  I am kind of a picky eater and those I traveled with were not.  I had  steak, potato and bread every night.  The waiter wanted me to feel a part of my group as I wanted to start with the main course and not three or four different appetizers, so he would bring me special plates of fresh fruit. By the third night, he knew exactly what I wanted.  I kept teasing him about all the flatware on the table, that I didn't need it, so one night I took all of the extra flatware at the table and put it at my place setting. He thought it was quite funny, the Maitre de, did not.

On our stop in Jamaica  we went to Dune's River Falls and climbed up the falls which lands you into a maze of craft tents run by the locals. They refuse to let you through without pestering you to look at their art.  I had one thing in mind, jewelry.  It was my goal to buy me some thing nice every month on my little stipend and thank Chappy for it.  This month, besides the cruise, I
Jackie, Cindy & Patty
thanked him for a Cyma watch and diamond tennis bracelet.  I had bought a beautiful gold and silver ring several months earlier, thanks to Chappy!  My cruise was one of those Chappy gifts as well. Not to mention the many home improvement projects that I did.


Dripping in Jewels
The cruise lines offered you transportation into Ocho Rios,with the caveat that you not leave the area, a head count would be taken when the bus was to depart.  Again, I had a problem with authority.  I had gone to the store that we had previously purchased jewelry at.  I think it was one time when Chappy and I were in Ocho, he bought a watch and I wanted a tanzanite ring.  Chappy informed me that he had bought me a ring, my wedding ring and he wasn't buying another one for me.  Not a problem, I'll buy it myself! It had been a couple of years, but the store owner remembered me! 

I was looking for the watch, but I spotted the bracelet. We made a deal and as I attempted to buy it, the electricity went out and the cash register stopped working.  Perhaps that was a sign, but I don't pay attention all the time to those little nuances.  
Patty & Cindy

Our bus was going to be leaving soon and I was in a hurry, so the manager told me to come with him to his other store.  I went back to the bus and told Patty to tell the driver that the store owner would drop me at the pier and I would catch up with them later.  We jumped in his car and we took off.  We weren't there long when all hell broke loose. The woman in charge of the people on the bus came in the store cursing at this man.  He knew better than to take a tourist in his car to another location.  The two bickered back and forth and she told me I
Let the trip begin!
had put myself in danger.  I explained that I knew him from a previous trip, but she was not listening to me.  Needless to say when I returned to the ship, I heard from my cousin as well.  I understand every ones concerns, but I didn't think I had put myself in harms way.  I guess you never really know.


The young man who cared for our room found me to be quite funny.  He kept wanting to know why I was not traveling with a man. I told him I had not found one worthy.  Every night we came into our room, he had turned the beds down and left us an animal made from towels.  I loved it and wanted him to
My Perfect Man
show me how to do this!  But the best was the night he left my "perfect" man in my bed.  When I opened the door I was a bit taken back, but as I approached the bed, there he was, ready to greet me. It was the best surprise of the week.  He had taken time to bring a smile to my face.


Our last destination was Cozumel.  I had been snorkling before and loved it.  The rest of the troops had not.  But we all signed up and took off for an early morning swim.  It was just a beautiful day for it.  It ended about noon and I wanted to go in to Cozumel, but the others wanted to have lunch and take a nap.  Are you crazy? We are here just for today and you are not going to go in to town and see what they have?  Nope, lunch and nap time was on their agenda.  Adventure was on mine.
Mike, Jackie, Cindy & Patty

I took a taxi into town and started to explore. It was odd to be alone, but this was my new life, an adventure alone. If I wanted to do things, I was going to have to learn to enjoy them by myself.  I had lunch, did some shopping, walked along the beach and after several hours returned to the boat for a shower and a steak dinner.

The whole trip was perfect.  I gained five pounds that week.  Perhaps I was on the mend.  Visiting the water brings peace to my soul.  It had been eighteen months since that day that Chappy told me he was not happy.  I was starting to feel happy again. I was starting to feel alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment