Total Pageviews

Friday, April 26, 2013

A Birthday Fit for a Queen

In 2010, I turned fifty years old.  There has yet to be a birth date that scares me.  I don't feel like I am fifty.  I can remember as a child people I knew that were certain ages and I thought they were "old" but as I've reached those milestones, I don't feel that old at all.

My father retired when he was forty nine and I remind him often that I too could have retired had he let me apply for a job at General Motors.  I probably wouldn't have had the life I have had and I have no regrets, but I sure would love to be retired!   Many of my classmates are nearing retirement or retired. I  believe most of my cousins are retired and many of my friends are nearing that age as well.  

I can't dream of winning the lottery, I don't play.  I can't count on social security in another ten years as I doubt there will be much there or the retirement age will increase significantly.  With my luck, it will raise as I approach that golden year.

I wasn't quite done helping Barry.  He was living back with Juli and her husband and once more was kicked to the curb.  Who do you call when you need someone to help? That's right, he called.  I was not allowing him back in to my home.  I had already had to call the police twice to have him removed from my property.  It is not that I dislike him, I dislike drama.

I was able to help him move his stuff to a motel that is similar to an efficiency apartment.  He was working a couple of jobs to make ends meet.  I will give him this, he is a hard worker, he just has a problem with will power when it comes to drugs of his choice.

He was working in the parking lot of the mall in a tent that sells rugs and paintings every year in the month of July.  They loved him and wanted him to go on the road with him.  He took all the tests and passed them.  He would live in a Winnebago parked in the lot next to the tent to act as a security guard at night and rug thrower during the day.

He was on his way to Fort Myers a week before I was to travel there in 2009 and he was afraid to leave.  He has a warrant in Florida from years ago and he  feared he'd get caught.  I tried to explain to him as long as he kept his nose clean, in more than one way, he could live under the radar.  It wasn't like he was going to cross the state line and a flashing light was going to go off warning the authorities.  I think there were more reasons, but he wasn't saying.  So he told his employer that he liked to partake in a little smoke once in a while and that pretty much sealed the deal that he was not south bound with the hammer down.

He took a job for a gold company in late 2009.  He stands on a curb and swings a sign encouraging you to sell your gold.  He has been on this curb through rain, sleet, snow and heat since. Any one who has been on the north side by Castleton mall, knows of him. He has done such a great job, when their other shops need an increase in business, they put him on the curb.  For a man who is fifty four, he can get people's attention and draw a crowd.

He wanted to celebrate my birthday with me, by taking me out to thank me for all I had done for him.  I wanted to spend it alone.  Every significant birthday from age twenty on had been ruined by a man and I was not entering the second  half of my life starting with another bad memory.  He was heart broken that I would not even go to dinner with him.

My birthday celebrations seemed to go on forever that year.  I took the actual day off and spent it getting pampered.  I had a manicure, pedicure, massage, saw a movie, did some shopping and had a nice dinner.

I have some wonderful friends who always make sure my birthday is extra special.  This year they took me to Peterson's which is a swanky little restaurant on the north side of Indy. Every one was going to meet me there.  As I walked in the hostess asked if I'd like to be seated.  I told her I was with the Poland party and she looked surprised. "You must be the Queen?"
Queen, Tanya, Tim and the Poland's

"Why of course!" I asked her if she'd do me a favor.  I had brought a crown with me and I wanted her to put it on a platter and walk a head of me announcing the arrival of royalty.  She did a splendid job! Tanya was supposed to bring my sash that says Queen, similar to what they wear in beauty pageants, but she forgot and left in the office. It would have just been the icing on the cake to be wearing my Queen Sash as I was being announced!

We had great fun that night as we always do when we get together. A few weeks later, we had a "business trip" scheduled for French Lick, Indiana.  Home of Larry Byrd.  I had never been and a doctor who was trying to increase his business had a select few in as guests.  Dinner, presentation and a room with a view.

I drove over to pick Tanya up for our weekend away.  There is no better way to travel than in the Royal Carriage.  I pulled into her drive way and as usual, she is "busy" with last minute preparations.

"You didn't notice what we were driving down in?"  She looked out at the car and turned back to what she was doing, looked again and started laughing.  I had placed the royal crown on the Lincoln to alert all along the way, they were among royalty.  What was so hilarious about this, a few years later when Prince William and Kate were married, they copied my idea with the crown on top of the cars!
The Royal Carriage


We wanted to go to breakfast but we had a late start. We were going to enjoy the drive down.  It was a beautiful sunny day.  We stopped in Greenwood, Indiana to do a little shopping and decided to have brunch at Ruby Tuesday's.

I was in prime form that day.  I guess just getting away was what I needed as things in the office were stressful. The restaurant was not that busy as we were there shortly after the lunch crowd.  We were seated, given menus and asked what we favored to drink.  I always get the same thing when I go to Tuesdays, so I did not have to peruse the menu trying to decide what I wanted.  Tanya on the other hand does not like to read books, but she does love to read magazines and menus, cover to cover.

The waiter came over to introduce himself.  I introduced myself to him as well, as "The Queen."  He let me know right off the bat there was only one Queen and that was his momma.  "Does she travel in a royal carriage?"

"No."  I pointed to my vehicle setting in the parking lot, a clear view of it from our table.

"Well, I do." From that point on, we bantered back and forth our entire visit. After our lunch, I asked him what they had to offer a Queen on her birthday.  Most restaurants have a treat for birthday guests, but not Tuesdays.


I suggested he might look into this and he came back and informed me the manager would give me a scoop of Graeters ice cream.  He brought the scoop over to the table and presented it with a large serving spoon.

"Do you expect me to eat my ice cream with this spoon built for Shrek?"

"Oh honey, just put the tip in."  I don't know what came over me, but out from my mouth blurted,

"That is the same thing he said last night." The waiter had to go hide behind the bar he was laughing so hard.  I looked at Tanya, "Did I just say that?" We could not stop laughing!
My Delightful Waiter

We had such a great time.  The waiter told me there was a chair in downtown Indianapolis fit for a Queen and I had to go sit in it.  I had no idea where he was talking about, but Tanya did.  I doubt I'll ever sit in that chair, but the memories of that day linger on!  We had such fun.  The waiter wanted a picture taken of the two of us. Tanya snapped that Kodak moment and we headed off for our adventures in French Lick.

No comments:

Post a Comment