Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Wall Flowers Need to Be Fertilized to Grow


My position at Michigan Hospital Association opened my eyes up to the real world outside of Killer’s sheltered globe he kept Worm and I in.  I had my boss to thank for offering me opportunities to see that I was worth more than what Killer had me believe.  I don’t think she knew at the time what she was doing for me.
Killer was always so proud of the Homestead, but much like our lives, the house was beautiful on the outside and no so much on the inside. Of course when you didn’t allow people to come into the inside, they could only admire what was on the outside, not knowing what lurked within the walls of that prison.
My boss, Lois, came over one day.  I am not even sure how she came about to being there, but I invited her in.  She basically stated what I noted above.  The carpet in the living room was red wool but it was 18 inches wide and they no longer made carpets like that, so you know how old it was.  The house just needed uplift.
The kitchen was a work of progress that was a bone of contention later in our life.  It was nice, but it was not completed.  There was no heat in the kitchen and I’ll cover this when I tell you about the environment inside the house. The bathroom was done, but it wasn’t anything special.  Z brick was the wall covering of choice for Killer and he would brag that you could take a power washer to the kitchen and bathroom to clean it and nothing would be damaged.
Lois mentioned the house wasn’t all that impressive on the inside.  Really?  Like I needed her to tell me this?  Later Killer asked me what she thought expecting me to inform him that she was ranting and raving about the beauty of the beast.  When I told him what she said, he immediately allowed me to redecorate the living room, but again within his parameters and his taste.  I do have to say it was a major improvement but it was not me.  I was merely following my directive.
One of the functions of our department was to be involved in the annual conference at Boyne Mountain each year for three days.  The members would come to this conference for educational purposes and pleasure, such as golf.  My second year of attending this function, Lois informed me that I would have to present at the afternoon break out sessions.
I had never done public speaking.  I don’t know that I was afraid; I just had never done it. I prepared my presentation like anyone would, note cards to remind me of what I wanted to cover and I studied those with the determination that I’d survive this task before me. Lois had told me that I needed to not be a wall flower and mingle with our clients.  Talk to them, go to dinner, and get involved.  She didn’t realize that I still had a curfew.  Killer expected me to call home every night at 8:00 PM to check in and to stay in for the night. I guess he knew the temptations that were or could be presented at these conferences.
Lois assured me that few would attend my break out session as they had a choice to either golf or some other fun activity or attend these boring breaks out sessions.  I believed her.  If I had been attending and had a choice of fun or torture, I’d pick fun any day.
The meeting room looked out on to Boyne Mountain which is known for skiing.  I was ready to face this empty room with my notes cards and little slide presentation.  After lunch, I went into this conference room.  It was huge with the whole back wall nothing but double doors for participants to enter.
I swear the bell rang and all these doors opened at once and the people rushed in similar to a black Friday door buster sale! I was paralyzed. What happened to everyone attending the other activities that were being offered?  Not to mention Lois and her boss sat in the back of the room to critique me?  OY! I felt my stomach lift off; butterflies were ripping it out of my body! I stood behind the podium and felt the floor go out from underneath me. I could not talk to all these people!
But I did.  I stood in front of them and talked for an hour. I couldn’t follow my carefully organized note cards that were to guide me through this war zone.  I stood in front of this room and stared at the Mountain and talked about workers compensation.  I was mesmerized by the mountain and rarely looked at the audience so I did not always catch someone batting at flies in the room, cause I knew they were not raising there hands to ask me a question, but they did and I answered them like I knew what I was talking about.  And, much to my surprise this audience all had their clothes on. Perhaps that is why I was looking at the mountain as someone had told me to imagine them in their underwear!
I had so many members come up to me afterwards to tell me what a great job I did and how well I presented.  As well that I kept it at a level that they could understand. My marks on the evaluation sheet were fantastic and very positive.  I was so relieved that it was over, but Lois informed me shortly after that my presentation was so well attended and liked, that I’d be presenting the next year as well.
That is when I started my endless road trips to our member hospitals to educate them all about workers compensation.  I thrived on this.  It was rare that staff didn’t approach me afterwards and tell me how great my presentation was and how they had expected it to be so boring.  I went from hiding behind that podium with a death grip on my post card notes to working the room, walking around and being very animated with my presentation.  This wall flower was in full bloom and she was going to a whole other level of confidence both in her career and at the homestead.  Thank you Lois Forester for fertilizing this dying wall flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment