Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Freedom Is A Test Drive Away


I was promoted to Claims Consultant within the first two years of my employment.  Lois was taking on more managerial responsibilities and I would be assisting on the more difficult claims as well as litigation. This involved mediating claims within the Workers Compensation system.  I would have to present my case to a mediator and if the injured worker was represented by counsel, I would be representing our member without the benefit of a law degree.
One of my early mediations was held in Saginaw, Michigan.  I do not remember what the case was about, but the plaintiff attorney was a young spunky woman who had a chip on her shoulder.  I am very practical in my reasoning and presentation of facts.  I was not about to enter this mediation unprepared, but I was new at this and she knew it.  She tore me up and ripped me apart in this hearing, but I stood my ground.  I was so taken back by her demeanor though as I had never encountered someone who was so aggressive in such a professional setting.
Afterwards, the male attorneys comforted me and told me that she was a little bitter.  She was the daughter of a plaintiff attorney who was known as a pit bull and she was trying to make a name for herself.  Her name was Debra.  She confronted me outside of the court room to tell me that I did well in the hearing.  I about fell over.  This woman all but tore my skin off and deep fried it before serving it to a pack of wild animals.  I later learned that she had been baptized this way by the attorneys practicing in that area.  She felt it was her duty to put all new fresh meat through the grinder similar to how she had been treated when she became an attorney.  Again, I discovered, women do not band together, they will shred you in to pieces to make a rag rug out of your hide to prove a point.  My skin got a little thicker that day and I stood a little taller.  That would never happen again.  I would not allow some one to walk all over me in front of people I worked with every day.
With my promotion to Claims Consultant I was offered a company car.  I could choose any car that was made in the USA. I had a budget as I recall for options as well and depending on what I wanted on the car, I could drive it for free or for very little money.  I chose a brand new 1984 Ford Thunderbird and I put some options on it.  The car cost me less than $25.00 per pay period to drive.  I could finally get rid of the Suburban House wife car!
I was so excited about this!  Killer had a company car and I felt I was moving up in the world.  With my new promotion I was making over $20,000 a year and I was beaming. I was just shy of turning 24 years old.  My father had worked at Fisher Body and when I graduated from high school, I asked if he could get me into the shop.  It was good money and I was all for good money.  Dad looked me square in the eyes and said, “No daughter of mine will ever work in the factory. You will have to find something else to do.” I didn’t know what I could do to make good money.  Mother always told me they wouldn’t pay or help us with a college degree and they never really pushed furthering our education, so I buckled down in insurance and I was determined to be more than a secretary.  I was on my way!
Killer didn’t like the new Cindy Marie. I was making almost as much as he was and I was now getting a company car. I guess I was proving that a woman could make it in a man’s world and not break a sweat.
He told me I didn't want a black Thunderbird. He informed me that I would order a red Thunderbird.  I did not like red cars, but Killer loved red cars.  His Vega was red with gold like thunderbolt painted across the side, his company car, a Chevy Nova was red.  His MG was a burgundy red.  I wanted black period. He told me I had better order red and to not come home with any thing less than cherry red.  I ordered the car, in red.  I stewed for days about this and finally called the comptroller to see if he had placed the order.  He had, but there was time to still make changes.
A few weeks passed and my new car was delivered.  I called Killer to inform him it was here and how excited I was.  He told me to drive home for lunch so he could see it.  I jumped in the car and drove from the west side of Lansing all the way to East Lansing with not a care in the world. He and Worm were standing there as I pulled my new shiny black car into the driveway.  Yes, my balls were starting to grow and I was not letting some man tell me what color my car had to be.  I already was his wind up Barbie doll and this Barbie was rolling in a black Thunderbird.  What was he going to do? Kill me?  I survived my Mother. Killer didn’t realize I was blossoming in to a very independent woman and I’d soon be flying away from the confines of the controlled nest called the Henshaw Homestead.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hahaha! Love it! Good for you!

Post a Comment